Mentor Application Process
Join the thousands of working professionals who are changing the lives of high school students in New York City.
Our four steps to becoming a mentor are outlined below.
In order to be eligible to volunteer with iMentor, you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Live or work in New York City area
- Hold a bachelor’s degree
- Have reliable and consistent access to the internet
- Be able to attend once-a-month iMentor events (6-8 p.m. on weekdays / 1-4 p.m. weekends)
For questions about your eligibility, contact us.
All volunteers must complete iMentor's online application. We use this information to:
- Make the best possible match between you and your mentee.
- Learn about mentor's program preferences.
- Conduct necessary screening, including reference and criminal background checks.
Note: The application is detailed and will take approximately 20 minutes to complete. If you are unable to finish in one sitting, you can save your entries and return to it later.
All mentors must attend a two and a half-hour in-person training before being matched.
The iMentor training session is an interactive workshop that empowers volunteers by giving them the tools and resources to be great mentors. During this session, mentors will learn about and discuss:
- iMentor’s background
- Our mentees
- The iMentor program model (which includes weekly emails and monthly in-person meetings)
- Staff support
- Mentoring strategies
For a list of training dates and to RSVP to training, you must first fill out an online application. After you submit an application, you will receive an email with training RSVP instructions.
Once you have completed training, iMentor begins the screening process. Because a mentor holds a position of trust and responsibility, we must:
- Conduct background checks by fingerprinting you through Go Pass. Go Pass is a joint program between the New York City Department of Education and NYC Service, a citywide initiative to promote service and volunteerism in NYC
- Conduct a mentor phone interview
- Interview personal and professional references
This process takes approximately 4-6 weeks. The sooner you attend a training session, the sooner you will complete the screening process and become eligibile for a match with a student.